Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Good Doctor

The RE of my prior life was ok, I guess, but I hardly ever saw the RE, and only dealt with the nurses. Not ideal in my mind and let’s just say his nurses weren’t the most sensitive. I mean, is it really appropriate to tell an IF patient to her face that if the procedure doesn’t work, “you can always get a dog”? (I have dogs. I love dogs but clearly, there’s no comparison with a child). Yes, in the prior life, I tolerated bad behavior and I’m ashamed I did. How many other women suffering from IF did the insensitive b$#@) say the same thing to? Needless to say, the prior RE and his staff weren’t on the list of the top 3 choices for the new RE and the dog nurse is lucky she’s not saying that to my face today because I’m not so tolerant of bad behavior in my old age. Behavior like that would have a consequence and not a pleasant one. My profession as an advocate for others has taught me to advocate for myself as well. She would not have escaped unscathed.
This time around, I landed with an RE who successfully treated a friend. Let’s call him Dr. L. Dr. L was a delightful man. Really, he was. He was a little hard to communicate with because of language differences, but generally I liked him and had confidence in his abilities as an RE. He recommends a Clomid challenge test and a new HSG (yippee!) as well as testing for dh. We start this process in February 2009. I passed the Clomid challenge test with an FSH of 5.3 and G’s boys look pretty good, so things are looking a bit more encouraging than in the past. March 2009 is the HSG and IUI #1 on 100 mg of Clomid. Dr. L is thrilled because I had three follies. That’s pretty good for a 38 year old he says. Yet, BFN.
The HSG shows a “uterine filing defect”, so an office hysteroscopy is scheduled for April 2009 to investigate the filing defect. (I always think of donut filing. It would be much more fun investigating donuts, but I digress…) Here’s where my love affair with Dr. L came to a sudden halt. You see, Dr. L had another doctor practicing with him. More about Dr. J to come….

No comments:

Post a Comment