Monday, January 11, 2010

Trouble with the OB's office....

When I was at the OB's office last Tuesday, the OB referred me for a peri consult. He said his nurse would make the appt. I asked when I checked out, yep, the nurse will make the appt and call you. I've heard nothing. I called the OB's office Friday morning (I mean 48 hours is enough time to make me an appt, right?). The receptionist: "Dr. H referred you to a what?" Me: (rolling eyes) "a perninatologist". (I can't be the first person from the practice referred. Geez.....) Receptionist: Clicking around in the computer.... "I'll have his nurse call you". No call. This does not make me happy..... The fact that the office doesn't seem to run very efficiently doesn't make me happy. The fact that almost a week later and no progress has been made on a peri appt doesn't make me happy. The fact that my call was not returned does not make me happy. While I consider the referral to the peri important, what if my call were absolutely critical??

So, I decided to switch OBs. My friend recommended one she likes. I've got an appt on January 21. If by some miracle, the current OB's office manages to get a peri appt set up (I have my doubts that will happen...), I will certainly go, but I'm still switching. I want to be comfortable with the practice and I'm not so much.

The other motivating factor is that as an attorney, I represented an interest adverse to one of the other doctors in the practice a couple of years back. I didn't realize he was a member of the practice until I was reviewing the members of the practice thinking "that could be who delivered my baby..." I'm a little uncomfortable mixing professional with personal, too.

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! It is important to feel that you are being listened to and follow up is happening. It is the worst feeling waiting for a phone call that may never come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that you took charge of the situation and switched OBs! That is seriously impressive. A lot of people just get comfortable or worried about "hurting feelings" or "upsetting someone." The MOST important things are you and your baby's health, and if you think you will get better care elsewhere then you absolutely did the right thing! Way to go! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for taking charge.

    I have not been overly impressed with my OB's office either, although I really, really like the main doctor.

    Part of me feels like I was spoiled at the RE, and that's skewed my perceptions about how it's supposed to run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for your for taking charge of your OB care. I'd switch too. In any case, but especially after IF, I think the BEST and most caring, attentive OB care is a must :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You absolutely have to feel comfortable with your OB - there is just no telling what you may have to go through with that doc or that group, so might as well start with some confidence in the scenario.

    My OB always lets me know when to see the peri and I schedule it myself - so much easier than trying to work around whatever they come up with. I hope you feel really good about the new practice!

    ReplyDelete