Wednesday, January 6, 2010

9w4d and first OB Appt

First OB appointment yesterday. It was fairly uneventful, but I was a little nervous about it. The OB hadn't scheduled an ultrasound (which is with another office down the hall) but he asked me if it had been a few weeks since my last ultrasound... Me: Ummmmhummmm (8 days sounds like a couple of weeks, right???) So, after the internal exam and blood work, I am on my way down the hall to get my first abdominal ultrasound. The picture wasn't nearly as clear as the transvaginal ones, but it was nice not to be "invaded". The baby is measuring right on time at 2.81 cm and the heartrate was 166. The sonographer was super nice and when I told her this had been a LONG journey she said "I hope I get to do all your ultrasounds". That was nice! But... I don't think it is going to happen. The OB is referring me to a perinatologist because of my age and the fact that I take blood pressure medicine for high blood pressure (genetic). That's ok. Another doctor monitoring the pregnancy can't hurt. My first peri appt is supposed to be in the next two weeks and then I'm back to the OB in a month. I have to say it is strange to go from the RE where the pregnancy was a miraculous event to the OB, where pregnancies are a dime a dozen....

Otherwise, the queasiness seems less frequent and I'm starting to feel not as tired, which is good, but the symptoms were reassuring nonetheless. I'm telling myself it is ok to start feeling more normal at 10 weeks. Right??

On a sad note, one of our cats died suddenly yesterday. It looks like a stroke or a heart attack. He was 14 and was a "bad" kitty but we loved him. My 23 year old brother, who lives with us while attending college, loved that cat soooo much. G and I are really sad we lost the cat, but my brother's grief is much more intense. He's taking care of burying him today. :-(

3 comments:

  1. Yep, the HCG levels start falling around the 8-10 week mark, so I'd imagine it's very possible for symptoms to start decreasing around then too.
    Sorry to hear about your cat. I'm kind of glad DH has major allergies and we can't have pets, because even thinking about my brother's older dog passing away (and even watching her age) is sad. At least it's better to have a quick and hopefully painless death at an advanced age than to have had to deal with diabetes or some other illness before eventually passing away in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at 10 weeks and just beginning to notice some improvement (ie. lessening symptoms), so I think you're right on target. I'm going to a perinatologist, too. I am very curious to see what it will be like! I think one upside is you get more monitoring, so you have more reassurance about the baby (babies in my case) and that is really awesome after dealing with infertility!

    I am sorry for the loss of your cat ... that is so hard. I remember when my beloved childhood cat died, it broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for you first OB appointment! Yea, an ultrasound without being violated is a good thing, although I agree about the quality being less.

    I started feeling better at 10 weeks, although I've still had some incidents (we'll leave it at that). I definitely started having more energy at 10 weeks.

    We were soooo sad when our cat passed away a few years ago. That's a hard thing to go through. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete