Friday, February 5, 2010

Still here... and struggling less...

14 weeks today! I'm still here and happily, struggling less with fear and anxiety. The doppler and I are getting along splendidly, and it generally only takes about 30 seconds to find that little chug, chug of the baby's heart. I admit, I have been checking every day though, although I have read that there is some controversy over the safety of doppler usage on a regular basis. I am telling myself that my 30 second doppler usage each day cannot amount to more than a weekly ultrasound... I fully expect to rely on the doppler less once I can feel the baby move, but from conservative reports for a first pregancy, I might still be 5 to 6 weeks away from feeling movement.

The initial bloodwork screening for Down's syndrome and Trisomy 18 (the first part of the "sequential screen") came back normal. I have read that the second part of the sequential screen (the quad screen) can yield less accurate results. I am thinking, therefore, about skipping the second part of the test and just being happy with my 80% all clear on Trisomy 18 and 87% all clear on Down's Syndrone results.

I had my last appt with the "old" OB, Dr. H, this week. Recall that I am switching, in part, because I represented the ex-spouse of one of the doctors in his practice, a doctor that might deliver my baby depending on call schedules. The first thing Dr. H said to me at my appointment was "Still pregnant?" Perhaps he meant this to be funny, but I found it to be in poor taste. I'm not sure that's an appropriate question for any pregnant woman, least of all an infertile who he did fertility treatments on more than a decade ago! I mean, really?

He was very reassuring, however, concerning the fibroids. After the scare talk from the peri the week before, he tells me that in his 27 years of practice, the worst complication he has seen from a fibroid has been the necessity for a c-section. While I prefer not to have a c-section, if that's the worst outcome, I can deal with it...

Otherwise, my next appt with the new OB is February 11. I'm hoping she will schedule the gender ultrasound at that appointment for around week 18. Otherwise, I expect the appt to be a non-event, with a little piddling in a cup and listening to the heartbeat and that sort of thing.

Still counting down the days to the regular ultrasounds, which will begin at 24 weeks. 10 weeks to go. 70 days. I'm telling myself I can make it. I'm relying on the doppler, the gender ultrasound and hopefully feeling some quickening to get me through.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing well!

    I do the doppler about once a week, sometimes twice. It's frustrating that people can't seem to agree whether it's safe or not.

    And yea, I agree that "still pregnant" statement was inappropriate.

    My 14 wk appointment was a snooze. I was supposed to have an 18 wk one today, but since it's a blizzard out, I rescheduled it.

    Can't wait to hear the gender on yours! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 14 weeks!
    I cannot believe that that much time has passed already.
    So glad you are having luck with the doppler-- a little reassurance sure goes a long way.

    Hope your new OB is a great fit.
    and
    wishing you all good things.

    thanks for being so sweet to me,
    your support means the world.

    warmly
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear all's going well. I'd probably just turn on the doppler every other day or so, just long enough to pick up the FHR. It's partly why I didn't buy one even though I wanted to. I figured I wouldn't be able to keep from listening to it all the time, but if I had to sneak around to have a listen or look at work, I'd limit myself a little more. I managed to keep it to about once a week.
    Sounds like your new OB can only be better than the old one, so good luck at that appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 14 weeks!! I'm really glad to hear your screens for Downs and Trisomy 18 came back normal. I'd probably skip the 2nd screen, too, if the results are less accurate. No need to be freaked out for no reason. I can't wait to hear if your baby is a boy or girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My OB also said that recent studies showed far more accuracy in the first trimester screens, especially with the nuchal fold scan and the presence of a nasal bone at a certain point in the development. She did add all the usual disclaimers about exceptions, etc. of course, but in general said her experience backed the new findings up.

    Also, I wouldn't worry about the doppler, unless you plan to keep it on for hours at a time. There are just too many other things that cause known problems (living by a power transformer - one of those giant can things on a utility pole - for example) that nobody is freaked out about. Plus, you'll only be doing it that often until the fluttering starts. All of the warnings about things that haven't been proven to be safe or unsafe are often just because nobody is going to do full controlled tests on real live pregnant women and their babies.

    Meanwhile, do you have any inkling about the gender? A hunch? A theory?

    ReplyDelete